Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 22 04:10:50 UTC 2009

Worlds collide.

I don't need your vulgar world.

I'm here for kids.  Simple phonetic spelling.  Simplicity of standardized pronunciation in a way most communicative.  Simple teaching for enhanced learning of English.

What's important to you has zero importance to me.  In fact it saddens me.  Slang dosen't bother me.  Gratuitous vulgarity does.

see truespel.com

> Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 19:09:00 -0500
> From: laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
> Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"
>
> At 5:11 PM -0600 2/21/09, Gerald Walton wrote:
>>> So I'm wondering why so many academics enjoy using obscene or scatalogical
>>> terms in these "scholarly" postings. I'm wondering if those who ply their
>>> trade in classrooms & libraries feel like they need to demonstrate that
>>> they are really pretty edgy.
>>
>>I had a forty-year career in university teaching and administration.
>>I didn't use obscenity in the classroom or elsewhere simply because,
>>unlike Scot, I never felt that I needed to use obscene words as
>>"exactly the word[s] necessary for a given thought." I, however, am
>>not bothered in the least if others use it. I agree that "we are all
>>mature enough to handle the occasional
>>obscenity." In my view, far fewer obscene or scatalogical words are
>>used in classrooms and libraries than are used in other parts of our world.
>>Gerald
>
> Doesn't it depend on what you're teaching? I teach a class in words
> and word-formation, and would find it extremely difficult discussing
> infixing without going into the rules for "fuckin" insertion, which
> have been described extensively in the professional literature (cf.
> McCawley on where you can shove infixes) and constitute a superb
> illustration of tacit rule-learning (given that our parents and
> teachers never taught us that while "Massa-fuckin-chusetts" is
> well-formed, we should never say "Connecti-fuckin-cut", because of
> the metrical constraints we'd be violating). Nor am I prepared to
> eliminate "FUCK" ('for unlawful carnal knowledge', 'fornication under
> consent of the king', etc. etc.) from the inventory of faux acronyms
> when I'm discussing the byways of etymythology just because of the
> obscenity involved. Or when you're talking about the dialect
> interference between British and U.S. English, should we avoid
> mentioning "pissed" ('angry' vs. 'drunk') along with "knocked up"?
> And should I eliminate discussing the loss of "cock" and "ass" from
> American English in favor of "rooster" and "donkey" as instance of
> taboo avoidance, following Bloomfield (1933)? Or maybe just not
> mention taboo avoidance as a factor in lexical change? Or would
> these all be acceptable to cite because invoking them would involve
> not *using* but *mentioning* obscene words?
>
> LH
>

>>At 04:04 PM 2/21/2009, Scot LaFaive wrote:
>>>---------------------- Information from the mail header
>>>Sender: American Dialect Society
>>>Poster: Scot LaFaive
>>>Subject: Re: Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

> [...]
Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Access_022009