ADS-L Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 (#2009-55)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 04:46:09 UTC 2009

Tom,

You're not hearing "jist," which is a distinct word from "just."
You're hearing it with a different vowel from lax high front.  It's
high central unrounded, and the IPA symbol is barred-i.  /dZIst/
"gist" and [dZi"st] "just (adv.)" are not the same word and don't have
the same vowel.

About "juiced," you wrote, "Curiously above has two pronunciations. ย
The first is ~just. ย The second is with a long u ~juest and sounds
like "juiced". ย I've never heard this in USA. ย Sounds like UK to
me."  I've never heard this pronunciation either, but I assume the
lexicographers have evidence for it.

As to an example of a word with [i"], I have it regularly for the
vowel in the unstressed suffix -ing.  I have it in the third syllable
of "dirigible" and anywhere else in an unstressed syllable containing
a palato-alveolar or a velar and a schwa.  [i"] is not phonemic in
English; it's a predictable variant, allophone if you wish, of schwa
in this environment.

Herb