FW: The first French "restaurat" was in New York, in 1821? -- (message from Barry Popik)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Thu Feb 4 04:16:52 UTC 2010

Below is a message sent by Barry to several ads-l members and which I now share with the entire list.
On a general note, it's always good to be reminded ofo the great value of Barry's website.

G. Cohen

________________________________

From: Barry Popik [mailto:bapopik at aol.com]
Sent: Wed 2/3/2010 9:11 PM
Subject: Re: The first French "restaurat" was in New York, in 1821?

I posted this here and OED doesn't record it?
--Barry Popik
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/restaurant_refectory/
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0203C&L=ADS-L&P=R2680
Subject:         Restaurant (1766)
From:    [log in to unmask] <http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?LOGON=A2%3Dind0203C%26L%3DADS-L%26P%3DR2680>
Date:    Mon, 18 Mar 2002 21:36:33 EST
   OED and Merriam-Webster have 1827 for "restaurant," although OED's entry notes that it started in Paris in 1765.  There's been a new book on the subject that I'll have to check.

BOSWELL
ON THE GRAND TOUR
ITALY, CORSICA, AND FRANCE
1765-1766
edited by Frank Brady and Frederick A. Pottle,
Yale University
McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., NY
1955

Pg. 257 (1766, THURSDAY 2 JANUARY):
   A restaurant keeper just by Le Blanc's furnished me dinner and half a bottle of wine for three livres, and Etienne, my _valet de place_, was very active and had the name of "l'eveille."