Poss. Ety. of "twink" [Was Re: Theriomorphism in a Los Angeles Gay Community]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 13 14:33:17 UTC 2010

HDAS files reveal "twinky" as an adjective at NYU in 1971, but it came from
the noun.

_Twink_ was/ is also used to mean a weakling, a sissy, or a whimsically
eccentric person.  All the evidence for these is post-1962.

I don't really understand why people keep saying "1963."  The AS article was
published in '63, but authors Alan Dundes -  who published the "Starkle
Starkle" poem in 1987 - and Alan Schonhorn say explicitly that the material
was collected from 123 upperclassmen at Kansas University in 1962.
Am chagrined to discover a (misfiled) citation of "twinkie":

1958 Joan Davis _College Vocabulary_ (ms.) 6: _Twinkie_ - A homosexual.

That. reduces the likelihood of _twink_ having derived directly from the
poem, though the poem may still have played a role in the word's
dissemination.  Either way the effective notion behind homosexual _twink_
is probably that of "creampuff," via Hostess Twinkie. Personally I've never
heard a Twinkie referred to as a "Twink," but it must have happened on
occasion.

HDAS shows "Twinkletoes" back to 1893.

 JL