OT: 'Pied noir' [was: McWhorter on "Negro"]

Salikoko Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Sun Jan 17 17:32:14 UTC 2010

I just cleaned up the text. Let's hope the whole of it is posted now.

Wikipedia gives the following etymology for "Pied-Noir":

> The origin of the term /Pied-noir/ is debated. According to the Oxford
> English Dictionary, it refers to "a person of European origin living
> in Algeria during the period of French rule, especially a French
> person repatriated after Algeria was granted independence in 1962."^
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied-Noir#cite_note-OED-0> The /Le
> Robert/ dictionary states that in 1901 the word indicated a sailor
> working barefoot in the coal room of a ship, who would find his feet
> dirtied by the soot. In the Mediterranean, this was often an Algerian
> native, thus the term was used pejoratively for Algerians until 1955
> when it first began referring to "French born in Algeria."^
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied-Noir#cite_note-Shephard-4> This
> usage originated from mainland French as a negative nickname.^
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied-Noir#cite_note-OED-0> There is also
> a theory that the term comes from the black boots of French soldiers
> compared to the barefoot Algerians^
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied-Noir#cite_note-6> . Other theories
> focus on new settlers dirtying their clothing by working in swampy
> areas, or trampling grapes to make wine.^
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied-Noir#cite_note-7>
/Le trésor de la langue française/ gives the following etymology, which
is in agreement with the above:
> ** "matelot chauffeur sur un bateau à charbon" (ds ESN.); 1917 "surnom
> donné jadis aux Algériens" (/ibid./); 1955 "Français né en Algérie"
> (/ibid./). Comp. de /pied/* et /noir/*, le surnom viendrait du fait
> que les chauffeurs des bateaux, souvent algériens, marchaient pieds
> nus dans la soute à charbon.
Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                    s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
The Frank J. McLoraine Distinguished Service Professor of Linguistics and the College
Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology
University of Chicago                  773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637, USA
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/faculty/mufwene