OT: 'Pied noir' [was: McWhorter on "Negro"]

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 17 20:31:11 UTC 2010

By 1963, when I was doing the junior year abroad
thing in France, a pied noir was necessarily
someone  ethnically French who lived in or had
emigrated back from Algeria; I wouldn't have
known whether it mattered whether they themselves
were born in France or Algeria (i.e. whether they
were a first-generation colonist or from a later
generation), but I suppose the "Français né en
Algérie" constraint below is accurate.  The usual
context in which it came up was to designate
those who had left Algeria for (usually) the
south of France and it was I believe always
pejorative.  In those years, there was already a
fear of terrorism by those disaffected by De
Gaulle's policies of giving up the colony and
granting independence to Algeria, and there was
the occasional setting off of "plastique" bombs.
I apparently looked enough like a pied noir (I
was actually given that reason once) to be
stopped and frisked by les flics when I was
hitchhiking through the south of France.

LH