OT: 'Pied noir' [was: McWhorter on "Negro"]

David Bergdahl dlbrgdhl at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 18 00:23:07 UTC 2010

When I was on an exchange at the University of Toulouse in 1988 one of my
colleagues was said to be a pied noir: he was French but Algerian-born whose
family "had to leave" after independence.  I understood it wasn't to be said
in his presence.
-db