McWhorter on "Negro" [Was: on "Negro English"]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 19 02:42:07 UTC 2010

Since I remember the '60s, I obviously wasn't there. However, Carmichael and
Brown and the Black Panthers vilified King as an "Uncle Tom," and they took
the famous speech, which didn't call for violent revolution, as proof.

I'm starting to recall that Malcolm X called for the use of _Black_ in his
autobiography in 1964, some years before Carmichael's _Black Power_.  It
didn't become media mainstream until after MLK's assassination.

JL