Omission of definite article

Kelli Slimp kellislimp at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 19 15:40:48 UTC 2010

Thanks Heather, Charles and Bill!

Charles, your "in the bed" got me thinking....

I've also noted that here in Ireland, speakers will add almost superfluous
"the's." My friends routinely say they have "the hunger" when they're hungry
and are often afraid of catching "the cold." In Irish, one doesn't have a
cold, but a cold is "on" them. Does this suggest that situations like cold
and hunger are outside forces that attack one's body, instead of the AmE
idea that cold and hunger develop in one's body?

hmmm....

ks