Dialect notes. v.3, 1908-09

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 30 00:55:55 UTC 2010

 Payne, Leonidas Warren. A Word-List from East Alabama.

Though the author makes clear that he's dealing almost exclusively
with a local white dialect of East Alabama, with only occasional
references to the local black dialect, and my father was a black
native of Moundville in West Alabama, I find this article (from GB) to
be really interesting reading.

To give a typical f'rinstance, Payne notes the use of forms like _all
the high_ in place of _as high as_:

That's _all the high_ I can jump = That's  _as high as_ I can jump.

In E TX BE, we say (said?):

That's _all the higher_ I can jump.

I'd completely forgotten that I'd ever talked that way!

Of course, "high" and "higher" are different, but as has been pointed
out elsewhere, "A difference that makes no difference is no
difference."
--
-Wilson
–––