Dialects of poetry (Old Norse, Middle English, Shakespearean, etc.)

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Wed Jun 16 05:00:22 UTC 2010

I've sung in a number of choirs over the years that insisted on
"authentic" pronunciation of Old French, "German" pronunciation of
Latin for works by Bach or Beethoven, etc.

Oddly enough, the one language that I've never been asked to pronounce
"authentically" when singing has been English.

David