Dialects of poetry (Old Norse, Middle English, Shakespearean, etc.)

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Wed Jun 16 05:13:07 UTC 2010

>If an authentic period performance of Messiah uses early 17th c.
>nstruments, a chorus no more than 16, and counter-tenors, then why
>not also use early 17th c. Dublin pronunciation?

Getting a bit OT here, but one could answer that Handel (who was not
himself a native English speaker) presumably did not write Messiah
with a contemporary Irish accent in mind.

David