"... a wry _smurk_ came over his face ..."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 6 05:02:23 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> My neighbor, Dennis Ryan of Oshkosh, drolly employed "gnurd" as a substitute
> for "nerd" whenever possible in the long-ago of 1974-75.

FWIW, the first time that I saw the word written, it was spelled as
_gnurd_. But I'm plumb nearly sure that I've never heard a
pronunciation other than the one that we all know and love.

--
-Wilson
-----