rumble strip

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Mon May 2 19:06:36 UTC 2011

On 5/2/11 11:44 AM, Joan H. Hall wrote:
> I know them as "rumble strips."
> While we are on the subject; what is the term for the rough roadway
> that generates an infernal racket when a car approaches a toll booth?

Those are the ones I think of as rumble strips. I'm not sure what I'd
call the rough stuff designed to keep you from drifting off the road.

Alice Faber                                       faber at
Haskins Laboratories                            tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                               fax (203) 865-8963

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list