"Africo-American", not in OED; from 1817

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Oct 17 18:02:40 UTC 2011

This is the first of 4 lists of terms used to refer to
African-Americans.  I have picked up early citations, and generally
stopped at about 1860.  Some of the terms did continue in use thereafter.
----------

["Africo-American" not in OED.  1817 to 1913 here.]

1817 -- "Then may the sable Africo-American, who shook his manacles
at the conservators of the rights of man, while he was dragged
through the city of Liberty, raise his unfettered hands, and again
exclaim, 'Hail Columbia, happy land, / Hail ye heroes, heaven-born band.'"

Jesse Torrey, A Portraiture of Domestic Slavery, in the United States
... (Philadelphia: The Author, 1817), p. 62.  Gbooks.
-----

1826 -- "Monrovia ... Lott, Carey, Colston, M. Waring,
Africo-American Missionaries."  [In "List of Missionary
Stations".  Lott and Carey, at least, were African-Americans.]

The Baptist Magazine for 1826.  Vol. 18. London: Wightman and Cramp,
1826.  Supplement, 1826.  p. 620.  GBooks.
-----

1831 -- "The Hartford New-England Weekly Review, of Monday, contains
the following paragraph: 'Just as our paper was made up for press, we
received the Boston Liberator containing an account of an outrage
said to have been committed on some of our Africo-American
population, by two students of Washington College. ...'"

The Liberator [Boston], Aug. 6, 1831, p. 127, col. C.  19th Century
U.S. Newspapers.
-----

1836 -- "Resolved, that his exertions to procure for the oppressed
Africo-American, his proper rights, will stand as a monument of his
justice and humanity, as long as men shall revere the one, or
practice the other."

The Liberator, Dec. 24, 1836, p. 208, col. 3.  19th Century U.S. Newspapers.
-----

1839 -- "We have heretofore expressed our views on the above
subjects, and it is well known that while we wage unceasing,
uncompromising war against Colonization as it is understood among us,
and promulgated by the great Africo-American Colonization Society, we
are not so hostile to voluntary emigration."

The Colored American, Nov. 16, 1839.  Accessible Archives/African
American Newspapers.
-----

1848 -- "Turn your faces in every direction, whithersoever you may,
and where is there a parish, county, or single corporation, in which
the Africo-American is entirely free ...?"

The North Star, Aug. 11, 1848.  Accessible Archives/African American
Newspapers.
-----

1867 -- "I am convinced, as you are, that the Africo-American will
vindicate by his action his claim to manhood and equality."

The New Orleans Tribune (La Tribune de la Nouvelle-Orleans), July 25,
1867, p. 4, col. 3.  African-American Newspapers, 1827-1998.
-----

1888 -- "Africo-Americans of the North to look to the interests of
yourselves and brethren in the South."

The Christian Recorder, Sep. 20, 1888.  Accessible Archives/African
American Newspapers.
-----

1913 -- "William T. Vernon, D. D., A. M., President Campbell, A. M.
E. College, Jackson, Miss., and one of the Africo-American foremost
speaker of matchless ability ... appeared at the Auditorium March 12,
1913, at 7:30 p. m."  [This is William Tecumseh Vernon, President of
Campbell College in 1913.]

The Freeman, April 5, 1913, p. 6, col. 5.  African-American
Newspapers, 1827-1998.
-----

Joel