Google Books advanced search

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Oct 30 02:18:46 UTC 2011

On Oct 29, 2011, at 10:06 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

> At 10/29/2011 08:56 PM, Laurence Horn wrote:
>> A particularly extreme, some would say egregious, example is IKEA,
>> as described in a recent (October 5) New Yorker profile or as
>> witnessed first-hand by anyone in their nearby IKEA (we have one in
>> New Haven) attempting to make their way from one part of the store to another.
>
> Another reason for me not to shop at IKEA.  (The other is what
> appears from their ads to be schlock, or perhaps just plain
> unattractive, furniture.)
>
> But as for the standard merchandising ploy of moving things around,
> Trader Joe's too seems egregious -- I have not noticed nearly the
> same frequency at Shaw's, Stop and Shop, or Whole Foods.

I've noticed that things at T-Joe's do seem to move around a lot, but I don't have the sense that it's to force you to make your way through the store (which you're likely to want to do anyway, if you're me) the way it is at IKEA, as much as because, well, the cheese just gets restless.  And the crackers, and the chocolate bars, and the cereals.  (The frozen food does tend to stay put.)  Besides which, there are always those staff people in their faux-tropical shirts to tell you where things are.  But at IKEA, there really is no direct line from A to B without passing through C-Z.

LH