origin of dese dem dose in NYCE

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 12 16:01:31 UTC 2012

I can understand the difficulty in accepting the Dutch influence 300
years after New Amsterdam became New York.

Why is the German influence often left out?

NYC in the middle of the 19th C. was one of the world's largest
German-speaking cities.

German speakers could account for the "dese, dem dose", and the German
word for oil is öl, pronounced 'erl'.

DanG