"Don't let the bastards get you down!" 1945

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 21 23:50:36 UTC 2012

On May 21, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> But isn't it true that the Romans made gerundive constructions snappier by
> dropping the conjugated form of _esse_?

Snappier, perhaps, but not for the likes of Cato:  "Carthago delenda est"!  "Carthago delenda" wouldn't have had the same ring.  And destroyed Carthage certainly was, so it must have been snappy enough.

LH