English Words Connected with Being Drunk Published 1930-1940s

Dave Hause dwhause at CABLEMO.NET
Sun Jan 27 05:08:17 UTC 2013

I don't have one, but Alcoholics Anonymous has a paperback glossary of the
way American English was used in the eponymous book, written in 1935-39,
which might be useful.  The current (4th) edition, as do the previous ones,
has stories in the members words and there is also a compilation of stories
from the previous editions called "Experience, Strength, and Hope" which
could be similarly useful.
Dave Hause, dwhause at cablemo.net
Waynesville, MO
----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Hall" <damien.hall at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2013 6:40 AM
Subject: English Words Connected with Being Drunk Published 1930-1940s
Following is a post from Szymon (Simon) Adam Wo¼ny

szymon.a.wozny at gmail.com

which he has asked me to post here on his behalf.  I'm certain that some
members of this list will know about this kind of thing! He isn't a member
of the list, so it would be great if you would send any reflections you have
directly to him, as well as replying to the list if you think your answer
would be interesting to members here too.  Apologies for cross-postings: I
originally saw this message on the LINGUIST List.

All the best

Damien

Hello fellow linguists.

I was hoping for your help with finding any written data considering the
english vocabulary associated with being drunk. A dictionary of it would
really be a godsend. I'd like the data to be published in 1930s or 1940s,
but anything from the first half of XXth century will do.

It is of crucial importance for my thesis.

Thank you in advance,

Simon