"parachute", 1793, interdates OED3 1784--1796; "falling screen" not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Nov 10 02:45:38 UTC 2013

"Mr. Brown, ...whilst preparations are making for my 46th ascension
already announced, I propse to give an experiment of natural
Philosophy with the parachute or falling screen ... The attraction
and acceleration of heavy bodies towards the centre of the earth,
will be evidently demonstrated according to the system of Newton. The
parachute which I have invented, will prove that it is easy to evade
this destructive law, and to secure any person against the fatal
effects of the fall, by arresting the acceleration."

Federal Gazette and Philadelphia Daily Advertiser, 1793 May 23, 2/3.  EAI.
-----
"Advertisement, on THURSDAY the 30th day of May inst. ... at the
CIRCUS of Mr. RICKETTS, THE FIRST EXPERIMENT OF Natural Philosophy,
WITH THE PARACHUTE or FALLING SCREEN, That ever was made on the
Continent of America, will be made by Mr. Blanchard."

Same issue, 3/4.  EAI.
-----
"parachute" interdates OED3  sense 1.a.  1784 (earliest) -- 1796.

"falling screen" not in OED.

Joel