Antedating of "Gung Ho"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Apr 13 13:36:04 UTC 2014

In a sense yes. USMC Col. Albert F. Moe wrote an excellent scholarly
article on the expression for American Speech in the early '60s.

Otherwise, Evans Carlson retired in 1946 and died of heart failure in 1947
at the age of 51. So he was spared any McCarthyite embarrassment.

Acc. to Wacki, Gen. David Shoup once described Carlson as "red but...not
yellow."

JL