Latest on "negro"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat Apr 26 14:42:42 UTC 2014

At 4/26/2014 09:23 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>To clarify: Costello and everyone else who commented scored Bundy as a
>racist for his idiot musings about slavery. But they also condemned his use
>of what one black commentator called "the 'Negro' word."
>
>Nobody explained why "the 'Negro' word" was bad, however. It just is.
>You're just supposed to know. You're not supposed to say it.
>
>How does the American Negro College Fund stay in business??  They even run
>ads on TV!!
>
>(I think the word is still OK for anthropologists, because they write books
>nobody else reads.)

I hope it's also still OK for writers about the 18th century, even in
paraphasing!  Because if I could only write, I'd try to publish a
book, if only anyone might read it.

By the way, I know two journals that will not publish the word
"Negro" unless it is in a direct quotation -- "Slavery and Abolition"
and the "South Carolina Historical Magazine".

Joel