to _show out_

Kohl, Matt matt.kohl at OUP.COM
Thu May 29 08:31:16 UTC 2014

Entry for show out citing plenty of west coast sources: http://www.therightrhymes.com/show-out/

Cited within is the below, perh of interest to anyone following the represent, intr., thread from awhile back:

1995-10-24 Aceyalone "Knownots" feat. Abstract Rude, Mikah 9 [All Balls Don't Bounce] <https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/all-balls-dont-bounce/id153616290?uo=4&at=11l3LF>
We don't represent out west, we signifyin', we showin' out

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Charles C Doyle
Sent: 28 May 2014 15:54
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU<mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] to _show out_

I distinctly remember becoming aware, as a young adult recently transplanted from Texas to Los Angeles, that most people seemed to be saying "show off" instead of "show out"!

As far as I  can tell (and now, living in Georgia, I use both forms), "show out" and "show off" are  exactly synonymous.

Perhaps it's a little like "log out" and "log off."

--Charlie

Poster:       Wilson Gray

Subject:      Re: to _show out_

"To make a display of oneself, behave extravagantly, esp. in order to draw attention to oneself; to brag, show off"

Children that annoy adults by "acting ugly" in front of guests or in public are said to be"showing out"; likewise, a child throwing a tantrum. A drunk who turns belligerent during a party is "showing out." Any public display that draws any kind of attention, positive or negative, is "showing out."

"We went out in the second half and _showed out_!"

could be rendered as "... and kicked ass!" or "... and put on a clinic!"

OTOH,

"*They* went out in the second half and showed out"

could mean that they played in such a way as to embarrass the other team or in such a way as to embarrass themselves.

"He came to center-stage and showed out!"

could imply "really making us proud of him" or "embarrassing us in front of the in-laws."

Kinda depends on whose ox is being gored.

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Arnold Zwicky  wrote:

> ---------

> > This is covered in DARE, but I was a little startled to see it used

> > on

> line

> > as something that people other than "them good folks who come from home"

> > would understand.

> for the sake of readers who don't have DARE to hand while they're

> reading ADS-L, it would be helpful to give a brief gloss.

> arnold

Oxford University Press (UK) Disclaimer

This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information for the intended purpose only. OUP does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author only and not of OUP. If this email has come to you in error, please delete it, along with any attachments. Please note that OUP may intercept incoming and outgoing email communications.