[Ads-l] Quote: I am that civilization you are fighting for. (April 20, 1914)

Geoffrey Nunberg nunberg at ISCHOOL.BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Nov 11 06:15:09 UTC 2015

This is lovely and surely definitive, Garson. I’ve heard another version, though, which I think goes more honestly to the academic heart of things. The questioner is an enterprising young Fleet Street reporter who goes to Oxford during WWI to find out what the university is doing for the war effort. He asks the question of some famous classicist — Gilbert Murray, I think — and receives the answer, “Reading, mostly."

Geoff