[Ads-l] QOTY

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 12 19:03:44 UTC 2015

Well, of whatever year it was, assuming it was an actual quote.  Today's papers carried the obituary of actress Betsy Drake, mostly known for being married to Cary Grant for "longer than than any of his other wives" (NYT, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/12/movies/betsy-drake-movie-and-stage-actress-dies-at-92.html).

The "earthy" quote referred to in the obit is presented as follows in the 2011 biography of Grant (_Good Stuff: a Reminiscence of My Father, Cary Grant_) by Jennifer Grant, his daughter with Dyan Cannon (p. 87):

=======
Dad somewhat enjoyed being called gay. He said it made women want to prove the assertion wrong. When asked if Dad was gay, Betsy Drake had the best answer: 'I don't know, we were always too busy fucking for me to ask.'
========

Somewhat reminiscent of the (apocryphal?  can't recall what we all concluded in a wayback thread on this) Dorothy Parker line, "Tell him I'm too fucking busy.  And vice versa."

LH