[Ads-l] QOTY

Thu Nov 12 19:50:57 UTC 2015

LH said:
> Somewhat reminiscent of the (apocryphal?  can't recall what we all
> concluded in a wayback thread on this) Dorothy Parker line, "Tell him
> I'm too fucking busy.  And vice versa."

YBQ has a 1970 citation. During the ADS discussion of Dorothy Parker
quotations back in July 2010 I posted an excerpt containing the
quotation from the September 1967 issue of Ramparts magazine. Below is
a link to the mailing list message. The description "legendary remark"
was used when the anecdote was presented. I also gave a 1968 citation
in a book by Oscar Levant.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2010-July/101136.html

Those are still the earliest cites, I think. Currently, there is no
entry on the QI website for this quotation. Also, Parker's
"horticulture" remark is absent.

Garson