[Ads-l] Trivago or Chivago?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Jan 13 15:23:55 UTC 2016

> On Jan 13, 2016, at 9:46 AM, Geoffrey Steven Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU> wrote:
>
> It's probably the speaker. There's a well-known (but I think geographically distributed) process turning /t/

or /d/

> into /ch/ before /r/. It happens in my speech for example, so I say /chruck/ for 'truck'.  Also happens with /d/, giving, for me /jrive/  for 'drive'.

I think the "chree" pronunciation, which I have, has been around for a long time; we don't notice it if we're familiar with the target ("tree" or "truck" vs. "Trivago").  A professional basketball player who earlier, like me (but not at the same time), attended UCLA is named "Jrue Holliday", which I assume is a way of making sure "Drew" gets palatalized...

LH