[Ads-l] haboob

Geoffrey Steven Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Thu Jun 2 15:40:11 UTC 2016

I'm guessing the use 'misappropriated' is somehow related to the trendy use of 'appropriation' as in 'cultural appropriation', a politically-charged term that has generated much heat in the blogosphere in the past few months.

Appropriate citation (heh!) is left as an exercise for the reader.

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
WSU Information Privacy Officer
Professor, Linguistics Program
http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/
+1 (313) 577-1259

Nobody at Wayne State will EVER ask you for your password. Never send it to anyone in an email, no matter how authentic the email looks.

From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:32 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: haboob

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 9:57 AM, James A. Landau <JJJRLandau at NETSCAPE.COM> =
wrote:
>=20
> Today's Jerusalem Post  =
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=3Dhttp-3A__www.jpost.com_Diaspo=
ra_Dust-2DStorm-2Dor-2DHaboob-2DTexans-2Dflip-2Dover-2Dweathermans-2Dchoic=
e-2Dof-2Dterminology-2D455723&d=3DAwIBaQ&c=3D-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=3DwF=
p3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=3D4DrnneSrlJGmcSqVSqwEf2d387YC=
4O1-1bPdOtFG3-o&s=3DnA1JD0WQzQL-H1A6CzPWSBhULhprSPwwPrfm6cCxMAo&e=3D=20
>=20
> <begin quote>
> Dust Storm, or 'Haboob?' - Texans flip over weatherman's choice of =
terminology=20
>=20
> <snip>
> When a dust storm was referred to on Monday as "Haboob," locals of =
Lubbock Texas did not shy away from speaking up on the weather service's =
Facebook page in order to express disdain over the chosen word, of =
Arabic origin.=20
>=20
> <snip>
> A third Texan took the opportunity to address the impending US =
election and express his support for Republican candidate Donald Trump, =
saying, "I for one cannot wait until those gosh dang democrats get swept =
out of office cause you know the Donald will not allow these Islam =
loving words to be used in the good ole US of A. We have a new haboob on =
the way.....and his name is Trump, the biggest haboob in the world!!!!"=20=

>=20
> <snip>
> Yet, to balance out these extreme reactions, some moderates looked =
down on the comments of the "ignorant" Texans who were overly critical =
of a weather term which, although of Arabic origin, was entirely =
appropriate. "Haboob" is used to describe intense dust storms often =
associated with thunderstorms, typical in the Middle East and Africa. It =
stems from  the word "habb," which, in Arabic, means "wind" or "to =
blow." It's use was not at all misappropriated.=20
>=20
> <snip>
> Another wrote, "To all of you people complaining about a word. Do you =
all realize how stupid y'all look? I mean, the rest of the country and =
the world is laughing at y'all. Lmao [sic] stop getting offended over =
nothing. It's super annoying to the civilized world. We work too hard to =
make humanity modern and non-draconian to allow this sort of BS. =
Thanks."
> <end quote>
>=20
> I might the "third Texan" quoted above is being logically =
inconsistent. =20
>=20
> Is there such a word as "misappropriated"?
>=20
Short answer:  yes, but usually involving funds rather than words.  OED:

trans. To appropriate or assign wrongly; esp. to apply dishonestly =
(money belonging to another) to one's own use; to embezzle. Also in =
extended use.

1825   L. Aikin Mem. in A. L. Barbauld Wks. I. p. xiii,   Several of the =
pieces have in consequence been generally misappropriated.
1857   J. Toulmin Smith Parish (new ed.) 145   A part of what had been =
wrongfully misappropriated being restored.
1887   Times 10 Oct. 3/3   The prisoner..had been in the habit of =
misappropriating fees which he received.
1904   J. Conrad Nostromo ii. iii. 127,   I am not likely to =
misappropriate the funds.
1952   W. Plomer Museum Pieces (1961) xxvi. 204   He had misappropriated =
the funds entrusted to him.
1987   Melody Maker 8 Aug. 10   Disfiguring and misappropriating pop's =
legacies.
1990   Times 2 Feb. 34/7   The purpose of the fraud was to enable moneys =
to be ingathered and misappropriated.