[Ads-l] The NYT: comma > semi-colon

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Sun Nov 6 19:16:30 UTC 2016

But parentheses are QUOTE used to add information to items in a list UNQUOTE
(passim in various grammar sites dealing with this issue).

Thus we have our basic comma-separated list:

     Chicago, St. Louis, Orlando, and suburban Henry County.

With information added, we have:

     Chicago, St. Louis, Orlando (Fla.), and suburban Henry County (Ga.).

The original cited list:

     Chicago; St. Louis; Orlando, Fla.; and suburban Henry County, Ga.

... uses semicolons to separate incommensurate items.

When the parentheses are added according to the accepted conventions of the
style manuals, then the need for the semicolons disappears.

I don't know about Wilson, but I think that was what was itching my brain in the
first place, not that I have any particularly rooted objection to the use of a
semicolon in such circumstances normally.

Itch scratched.

Robin