[Ads-l] WOTY candidate

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 30 01:37:20 UTC 2017

> On Aug 29, 2017, at 8:59 PM, Chris Waigl <chris at LASCRIBE.NET> wrote:
>
> Well there's the circle of security, the line of duty and the triangle of
> opportunity. I'm sure there are more expressions that fit the template "the
> [geometric object] of [noun ending in -ty]”.

Well, there are a number of attestations for “the triangle of infidelity”.  Also quite a few for “the square of infinity”, but that’s an exponent rather than a geometric figure (cf. also “the square root of infinity”).  “The pyramid of ability” is apparently something Ayn Rand-y; I didn’t have the stomach for the details.

One hit for “the sphere of absurdity”.  None at all, alas, for “the rhombus of rotundity” or “the parallelogram of profundity".

LH