[Ads-l] curate

Andy Bach afbach at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 31 16:14:12 UTC 2018

> First place I recall this is via the NYC Bike Snob from 2017

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2010_01_05_archive.html

Who points to an NYTimes article about Twitter
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/weekinreview/03carr.html

On Twitter, anyone may follow anyone, but there is very little expectation
of reciprocity. By carefully curating the people you follow, Twitter
becomes an always-on data stream from really bright people in their
respective fields, whose tweets are often full of links to incredibly
vital, timely information.

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 10:09 PM, Dennis During <dcduring at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not every online dictionary has this sense of curate, but Oxford online
> has:
> "Select, organize, and present (online content, merchandise, information,
> etc.), typically using professional or expert knowledge."
> *‘nearly every major news organization is using Twitter’s new lists feature
> to curate tweets about the earthquake’*
>
> I don't think "curate" was used much this way ten years ago, but it has
> been increasingly so used since.
>
> See https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/curate#Etymology_2 for 5 examples.
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> > Subject:      curate
> > -------------------
> >
> > Nowadays simply =3D select carefully
> >
> > "Have 1 minute? We've curated this for you: 5 ways to amplify your
> > Gal=C3=A1pagos expedition."
> >
> > I've been hearing "curated" this way in TV commercials for months but
> kept
> > quiet about it.
> >
> > ISTR  a selection of "specially curated" cosmetics sent regularly to
> one's
> > door.
> >

> > JL
> >

> > --=20