[Ads-l] picker

Bill Mullins amcombill at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Oct 26 19:32:05 UTC 2018

This is much older than I would have guessed.  I worked in the collectibles field in high school (1970s),was at the Nashville Flea Market every month, haunted antiques malls and stores, and knew and worked with many antiques dealers.  I never heard "picker" in this sense until ca. 2010, when the show came on .

NY _Daily News_ 26 Aug 1961 p 22 col 3
"An antique shop on E. 49th St. has a sign which reads: "Because our suppliers are the greediest, most miserable, conniving pickers of antiques who comb the country and only buy when some poor unfortunate is in exceptionally distressed circumstances, we can pass the benefit of this practice on to you." "

_Pittsburgh [PA] Press) 9 Dec 1962 magazine sec p 4 col 3
"Became A Picker
So Recco Luppino, still in knee pants, became a "picker," the lowest run on the ladder of the antiques business.  For years, before and after graduating at East Washington High School, he rang door bells in Washington, and rummaged through attics and barns for glass, china, furniture, books and anything that might be salable."