[Ads-l] chumbox

Mark Mandel mark.a.mandel at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 13 17:56:37 UTC 2019

On Fri, May 10, 2019, 1:29 PM Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com> wrote:

3. Wiktionary's 22 April 2014 citation by Alene Vincent (
> https://twitter.com/alenevince/status/458656349136900097 <
> https://twitter.com/alenevince/status/458656349136900097>) has no
> context, no likes and no retweets.
>
> ——
> ctrl+f "chumbox"
> http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/22/5639892/how-weaponized-clickbait-took-over-the-web
> … zero results :(
> ——

This has already been discussed on the word's talk page as an antedate:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:chumbox#The_2014_Twitter_citation :

Isn't that a mention rather than a use? The person seems to be saying "I
can't find the word chumbox on such-and-such a page". Equinox ◑ 23:20, 10
July 2018 (UTC)

   I understood it to mean: "this page is all about the chumbox and I am
disappointed it does not include its true name". I think it's an important
citation as it clearly links the word to its clickbait ad grid definition
(and not, say, a fishing bait container) with many examples, and shows the
word was known and in use over a year before the next citation. That next
citation is in an article quite similar to the first article. The tweet is
effectively retitling the first article. Hugovk (talk) 06:43, 11 July 2018
(UTC)

Mark Mandel