[Ads-l] Latinx

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Aug 17 18:26:20 UTC 2020

Information questions, since I’m never sure if these terms all share the same extension:

(1) Does “Hispanic” generally extend to those of Brazilian origin?
(2) Does “Hispanic” include Spanish people (i.e. not those from "Latin America”)?
(3) Does “Hispanic” include Portuguese people (i.e. not those from "Latin America”)? (Yes, I know historically they’re from Lusitania, not Hispania, but I’m wondering about synchronic extensions.)
(4) Am I right in thinking that the “Latino/a/x” labels, whatever their advantages and drawbacks, do in fact extend to Braziians but not to Iberians?

LH