[Ads-l] "If a tree falls..."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Aug 22 18:59:24 UTC 2020

> On Aug 22, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> 1866 _Columbia Democrat and Star of the North_  (Bloomsburg, Pa.) (Apr.
> 11)) :  ANSWERS TO CORRESPONDENTS...Philosophy tells us if a tree should
> fall in the forest, where there was no ear to hear, there would be no sound.
>
> If this is old stuff, too bad. Don't read it.
>
> It's surprising that a correspondent should ask the question without an
> earlier occurrence being found.
>
> JL

I always associated this with Bishop Berkeley (1685 – 1753), but perhaps it’s just based loosely on his philosophy.  The version I’m used to poses the question of whether a tree makes a sound in those circumstances, rather than providing a negative answer.  And the city in California (where I had my first teaching job) was named for him, so he must have been asking good questions. Of course the year I taught at Berkeley, if the tree didn’t make a sound it’s probably because everyone was stoned and/or had the Grateful Dead  turned up too loud.

LH