[Ads-l] jive 1925 (antedate?)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 15 14:06:40 UTC 2020

> On Oct 15, 2020, at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Stephen, I haven't checked, but a 1925 "collar" (understand) strikes me as
> an antedating. "Collar the jive" was a set phrase in the '30s and '40s.
>
> Wilson, unless I don't collar your drift, final position "though" sounds
> perfectly normal and multiethnic to me.
>
> JL

If I’m not mistaken, utterance-final “though”, often transcribed “doe” and not functioning as an adversative,, as in “That hair, doe” or “What up, though” (examples from urbandictionary) is “trending”—if it hasn’t already stopped doing so—and did originate in Black English.  Ben, is there “Among the New Words” data on this?

LH