[Ads-l] dog sausage in "A Tale of Two Cities"

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 22:36:27 UTC 2022

There are older references.

I believe the oldest one cited in my blog post is from the 1840s.

https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2016/11/puppies-austrian-bread-and-austrian.html<https://esnpc.blogspot.com/2016/11/puppies-austrian-bread-and-austrian.html?m=1>
________________________________
From: American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on behalf of Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2022 1:59:54 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: dog sausage in "A Tale of Two Cities"

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM>

This email didn=E2=80=99t make a lot of sense as it was.

Barry Popik quotes =
(https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hot_dog_polo_gro=
unds_myth_original_monograph/ =
<https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/hot_dog_polo_gro=
unds_myth_original_monograph/>) Gerald Cohen as saying, ""The term was =
based on the popular 19th-century belief that dog meat could turn up in =
sausages," says Cohen, "and this belief had a basis in fact.=E2=80=9D=20

FWIW, this struck me as an interesting and well-read reference to that =
belief/truth. BB

> On 23 Aug 2022, at 18:14, Barretts Mail <mail.barretts at gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Probably not of much use, but I saw this reference to dog meat and =
sausages reading Dickens last night. =E2=80=9CA Tale of Two Cities=E2=80=9D=
 was published in 1859 according to Wikipedia. Here=E2=80=99s the =
citation: