[Ads-l] There are old X, and there are bold X, but there are no old bold X

Tue Jun 7 12:36:48 UTC 2022

Way back in December 2018 Jonathan Lighter initiated a thread about
the template in the subject line.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2018-December/153710.html

Now I have posted two pertinent articles on the Quote Investigator website.

There Are Old Pilots, and There Are Bold Pilots, But There Are No Old,
Bold Pilots
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2022/06/06/old-bold/

There Are Old Traders and Bold Traders, But There Are No Old, Bold Traders
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2022/06/07/traders/

Previously, the earliest known instance in this family of expressions
was dated June 10, 1934. Now, I've located an instance in “Safety
Education: A Magazine of the Good Adventure” in May 1931. Airplane