[Ads-l] Article on non-use of "Latinx" in Spanish-speaking communities

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Sep 15 19:38:46 UTC 2022

You’re right, of course (he acknowledges sheepishly).  I wasn’t seriously proposing that avoiding number discrimination was an intended goal of the creators of “womxn". Note along the same lines the use of “wimmin” as another non-“man/men”-containing plural* whose existence I was reminded of by an obituary in the NYT this week which had the advantage of pronuncibility:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/11/arts/diane-noomin-dead.html

LH

*"a semiphonetic spelling of women, adopted by some feminists”; cf. https://www.nytimes.com/1986/05/09/arts/oxford-dictionary-yields-to-wimmin-yuppies-and-yuck.html

(I love the “semiphonetic”)