[Ads-l] Article on non-use of "Latinx" in Spanish-speaking communities

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 15 20:45:20 UTC 2022

On some random, ethnic channel, a Chicano is pontificating, in English,
about the use of _latinx_ in Spanish, noting that any fool can pronounce
it: "lateenex." You just rhyme it with "Kleenex," for crice sake!
The next show comes on. The MC, speaking in Spanish, makes a point of using
_latinx_ wherever relevant. Except that, whenever he says it, he
unconsciously switches to English and pronounces it as "Latin ex." Nobody
corrects him.
Where is the Latino - uh, *Latinx* - Jesse Jackson, when you need him? Uh,
"... need *them*"?

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 10:19 AM Mark Mandel <markamandel at gmail.com> wrote:

> *Stop using ‘Latinx’ if you really want to be inclusive | Opinion*
> <
> https://www.penncapital-star.com/commentary/stop-using-latinx-if-you-really-want-to-be-inclusive-opinion
> >
> *As a Mexican-born, U.S.-raised scholar, I agree with the official
> Argentine and Spanish stance on banning Latinx from the Spanish language –
> English, too*
> By Melissa K. Ochoa
>
> Most of the debates on the usage of “Latinx” – pronounced “la-teen-ex” –
> have taken place in the U.S. But the word has begun to spread into
> Spanish-speaking countries – where it hasn’t exactly been embraced.
>
> In July 2022, Argentina and Spain released public statements banning the
> use of Latinx, or any gender-neutral variant. Both governments reasoned
> that these new terms are violations of the rules of the Spanish language.
>
> Latinx is used as an individual identity for those who are
> gender-nonconforming, and it can also describe an entire population without
> using “Latinos,” which is currently the default in Spanish for a group of
> men and women.
>
> As a Mexican-born, U.S.-raised scholar, I agree with the official Argentine
> and Spanish stance on banning Latinx from the Spanish language – English,
> too.
>
> When I first heard Latinx in 2017, I thought it was progressive and
> inclusive, but I quickly realized how problematic it was. Five years later,
> Latinx is not commonly used in Spanish-speaking countries, nor is it used
> by the majority of those identifying as Hispanic or Latino in the U.S.
>
> In fact, there’s a gender-inclusive term that’s already being used by
> Spanish-speaking activists that works as a far more natural replacement.
>
> *Click headline for full story*

- Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain