[Ads-l] Gitmo (1945)

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 22 03:16:00 UTC 2022

In another bygone thread, Doug Wilson noted the variant spelling of "Getmo"
and gave a cite from 1957.

https://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-May/050150.html

Here's "Getmo" from 1946:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/109978374/getmo-bay/
Akron (Ohio) Beacon Journal, Mar. 7, 1946, p. 21, col. 1
Now he's 18 and has been in the navy 14 months.... he's at Getmo Bay, Cuba.

The presence of "Gitmo" and "Getmo" early on supports the idea that we're
dealing with pronunciation spellings of an abbreviation treated as an
acronym.

--bgz