[Ads-l] Media inquiry: "bubbler" (water fountain)

Amy West medievalist at W-STS.COM
Mon Feb 13 12:32:36 UTC 2023

On 2/3/23 00:01, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Thu, 2 Feb 2023 19:03:34 +0000
> From:    Joe Salmons<jsalmons at WISC.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Media inquiry: "bubbler" (water fountain)
>
> The Kohler Company produced a valve with the relevant name. Brief discussion here:https://wep.csumc.wisc.edu/english/  under ‘Words’ and scrolling down to ‘bubbler’ for an old ad.
>
> The story is that the term is used where the valve was widely sold, including bits of New England, (mostly eastern) Wisconsin and Melbourne, Australia.

"Bits of New England": its use is strongly linked to Boston/MA identity.
The fact that it may have started in Australia is, well, shocking. And I
had no idea that it was used in parts of WI or MI.

---Amy West