[Ads-l] Personal pronouns modified with relative clauses

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Jun 6 01:16:17 UTC 2023

> On Jun 5, 2023, at 8:55 PM, Charles C Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:
>
> Or rather, "Our father WHICH art in heaven . . ." (in the KJV)!
>
> --Charlie

Yeah, I guess I must have (like a good Jew) gone with the Douay-Rheims, whence the “who art”.  I see the Modern English version just finesses the whole bit:  “Our father in heaven”, employing what we used to call “whiz-deletion”.

LH