"Kamloops Wawa"

Tue Aug 18 00:17:30 UTC 1998

At 09:29 AM 8/17/98 -0700, Tina Bruce wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>My name is Tina Bruce and I am "Eskimo".  I am in search of my roots and
>geneaology, and hampered by a very close mouthed family whom I converse =
with
>very little.  I want to find out a little more about my heritage, learn =
the
>proper language, and what tribe I may actually belong to.  I can provide
>answers if given the proper questions to ask my Grandmother, who I =
beleive
>was born in the northern or western coastal area.  Thanks for any help =
or
>guidance anyone can give.

I will try, or at least will try and refer you to people who might be =
able
to assist with your search.  You say "Eskimo" (the correct word in Canada
is Inuk, the plural of which is Inuit), but then you mention your
grandmother's origin in the western coastal area.  Do you mean Alaska, or
BC/Washington?  (as there are Eskimos - the term used in Alaska - on the
west coast of Alaska).  Or was she First Nations, i.e. "native"?  If she
was from the BC coastal area you probably have a specific lineage and =
clan
affiliation, in addition to "tribe" (nation); one of my co-respondents
outside the group was an adoptee who found her way back to the Cowichan
people from her adoptive family in Holland, and she may be a good source =
of
ideas about how to dig up info.  I'll forward this to her (once I find =
her
address) and she can contact you separately.

Best wishes in your search.

Mike Cleven