Nayka chxi email address -- English version

Mon Nov 16 21:11:37 UTC 1998

LaXawyam, Tony,
*Hey, Tony,

Dret Lush, ixt-san yaka chaku, na-muwnk-Xluwwima uk ma-paya-c'em address.
*Very good, next Monday, I'll change your email address.

Qhata kanawi Laksta Las-chaku kemteks Chinuk kapa msa-ili'i, na-siXs?
*How's everybody learning ChInUk in your country, my friend?

Yakwa kapa Spokane nsa-wawa Chinuk kanawi kanamakst, Ikta-qanci.
*Here in Spokane we all talk ChInUk together from time to time.

Pus na-wawa mayka kapa uk-na [anah! should be ma]-chxi wiXet kapa
munk-c'em Chinuk:
*May I talk to you about your new way of writing ChInUk:

Uwk tunus-dindin nsa-wawa pi munk-c'em ilip hayu kapa kanawi,
*The sounds we say and write most often,

Lush pus nsa-munk kapit ixt tunus-c'em kapa pepa.
*We should write just one letter on paper (for these).

Uwk Xluwima tunus-dindin, Lush pus nsa-munk Laska kapa makwst tunus c'em
kapa pepa.
*The other sounds, we should write them with 2 letters on paper.

Na-kemteks? [should be ma-kemteks!!]
*Do you understand me?

Nanich:  Kapa uk tunus-dindin "yuLqet /u/", na-dimdim, Lush munk-c'em
*You see: For the sound "long /u/", I think it'd be good to write

kapit <u>.  Kapa uk tunus-dindin "yucqet /u/" tL'unes Lush munk-c'em
*just <u>.  For the sound "short /u/" maybe it'd be good to write

Uk "hayash" tunus-c'em, kakwa <U>, <I>, <E>, <L>, na-dimdim Las-dret
*The "big" letters, like <U>, <I>, <E>, <L>, I think they're really

Lush. Uk "shwa" tunus-dindin, wik na-kemteks qhata munk-c'em yaka!
*good.  The "schwa" sound, I dunno how to write it!

TL'unes wik mesachi pus nsa-munk <e>, <a>, ikta nsa-tqeX.
*Maybe it's not bad if we write <e>, <a>, whatever we want.

Kanawi Ikta ilip Lush kapa kanawi...
*All the best,

Dave

[Translation provided upon request.  I just wanted to see more Chinook
Wawa, so here it is!]