Nootka Chief on cover of Shaw

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at TELEPORT.COM
Mon Aug 23 05:33:53 UTC 1999

Klahowya, tillikums lalang.  I am moving along on Shaw for the Web,
and wondering who the picture on the cover is of.*  Marv told me he
is a Nootka chief, but I am afraid I don't have any further ID.  The
Seattle photographer dated the picture 1904.  If you might know and
have a moment to take a look, I have uploaded the picture to:

http://www.geocities.com/~tenaswawa/shawcoverpic.gif

I've gotten the OCR of Shaw cleaned up (whew) and will give it a
preliminary proofing before turning it over to my proofreading
volunteers.  It's around 120 pages, so maybe we can divvy it up 40
apiece?

Hyas mashie!

Jeff

*I am reminded of Winston Churchill's note to the editor who took out
all of his dangling participles:  "This is the sort of thing up with
which I shall not put."