HBC claims to lands in PNW

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Feb 1 07:07:34 UTC 1999

At 07:25 PM 1/31/99 -0800, terry glavin wrote:
>yep, that's a good summary of delgamuukw, mike. it's why i'm quite content
>with our kinchotch law these days: the local customary laws (aboriginal law,
>aboriginal customs, traditions and practices, aboriginal conceptions of
>title, etc.) are now part of the body of english common law in canada, and
>the submissions from the oral tradition now carry equal evidentiary weight
>in the canadian court system.

[still posted to the group, though off-topic]

Did you see (BC Opposition Leader) Gordon Campbell's letter to the
Vancouver Sun the other day?  Where he claimed that the Lamer decision
hadn't overturned the McEachern decision, which therefore still stood?
Quite a piece of work......[for the rest of you, the McEachern decision
threw out the customary law and oral tradition as having any relevance to
modern laws, and is a textbook example of colonialist and prejudicial
condemnation of native culture and history).