"inoculating" against smallpox in the old days

Wed Feb 3 03:44:19 UTC 1999

LaXiyEm, kanawi-Laksta,

I don't know a thing that'd be useful in answering Mike's question about
this, but a tiny anecdote:  My Salish teacher, if I recall right, at least
once mentioned to us about some indigenous people who somehow got the idea
to use thorns to inoculate against this dreaded plague -- and it worked in
many cases.

How many of realize that smallpox was as bad or far worse for American
natives than the black plague ever was for Europeans?

Respectfully,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html