Anderson wordlist scanned and webbed

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Mon Feb 8 10:33:00 UTC 1999

In a frenzy of latenight OCR'ing and formatting, I've put the Anderson
wordlist on-line, although it's not yet added to my site index.  The
address is http://members.home.net/skookum/anderson.html

The following are the comments I made on the preface, FYI:

"I have attempted to reproduce (within the restrictions of HTML) the
appearance of L. Harris' reproduction of the Anderson lexicon, in the
belief that her publication of it was an emulation of the original 1858
edition.  As such, I have left what appear to be errors intact, as these
appear to have been printer's mistakes in the original - these being kusbaw
(hog) instead of kushaw and sharty (sing) instead of shanty.  Anderson
gives kramox for dog, which in "normal" Jargon should perhaps be kamox (but
not necessarily, depending on his 'dialect' of Jargon), and the translation
of capeau as "cook" seems more likely to have properly been "coat"
(although again this is uncertain).  All other spelling variations (and
other differences) to the familiar Jargon words of other lexicons can be
ascribed to "dialect" and spelling choices, although Anderson's wordlist
contains numerous entries not found in other lexicons - these being both
completely unique terms (shetsham for swim or staetejay for island) or
alternates to the "usual"
Jargon terms (swaawa for panther, normally hyas pish pish or hyas puss
puss), or new combinations (ikhyass tokamonak for thousand).  Many of the
"new" terms here appear to be of Salishan origin (rather than the
"traditional" Chinook-Nootka), which may be explained by Anderson's frame
of reference - the Puget Sound and Fraser-Thompson Canyons - and may
reflect the emergence of a more Salishan-influenced Jargon in this region
during the heyday of the Fraser Gold Rush (1858-59).  It certainly may be
taken that these terms reflect the Jargon as it was known in the goldfields
at the time, and as it was used in southwestern British Columbia (Anderson
was an HBC employee who had travelled throughout the region since the early
1840s), even though many of the words given might not constitute "pure
Jargon" according to some definitions (as if there were any!)."

I think you Salishanists out there might find a lot of the "alternate"
words interesting, and may wish to add some comments.  The animals list is
longer than usual, and seems quite different from "normal" Jargon.  The
spelling variations (koory instead of cooley, marcie instead of mahsie,
e.g.) are also of interest, as are the higher numerals ("one great hundred"
for "thousand").

Guess I'll have to add these variant spellings to my other
pages......sigh.......and I've still gotta get to that English-Chinook
directory I've been meaning to compile......