German 'mietzmietz' = French ???

Thu Feb 11 18:38:58 UTC 1999

Howdy,

So what's the French sound used to lure a cat, then?

Presumably it's something like "puss(y)", an English term with a
complicated etymological history.

Did you-all know that _Kamlups Wawa_ has the CJ term "tootoo" (tutu)
tucked away in an obscure page, referring to a "pet cat"?  Actually it's
the special edition, "Chinook Rudiments", page 14, and the following 3
words stand in contrast to it:

poos'poos	"wild cat"	(page 12)
a'yas poos	"wild cats"	(page 27)
wailkat		"wild cat(s)"	(on an unnumbered page of _KW_)

Add to this Mike's mention of ~ swawaah (my memory's bad) for "cougar;
panther" (I think), as well as other specific terms such as links "lynx"
from _KW_, and smyaw / sbyaw from Salishan, which I suspect I've seen in
CJ.

There certainly was regional variation in the Jargon!

Best,
Dave

 *VISIT the archives of the CHINOOK jargon and the SALISHAN & neighboring*
		    <=== languages lists, on the Web! ===>
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/salishan.html
	   http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html